If you're the proud owner of an Apple Watch or contemplating getting one, you might find yourself wondering, "Are Apple Watches waterproof?" After all, having a device that can withstand water can be quite handy, especially if you're an active individual or simply enjoy the occasional dip in the pool. Well, worry not! We're here to dive deep into the world of Apple Watch waterproof capabilities, answering all your burning questions and providing some helpful tips along the way.
So, is the Apple Watch waterproof? The short answer is no, but the long answer is a bit more nuanced. While Apple Watches are not entirely waterproof, they do offer varying degrees of water resistance depending on the model. To better understand which Apple Watches are water-resistant and to what extent, let's take a look at the different generations and their capabilities:
- Apple Watch Series 0 and Series 1: These early models are not officially rated for water resistance. While they can handle a few splashes and sweat, it's best to keep them dry to avoid any potential damage.
- Apple Watch Series 2, Series 3, and Series 4: This is where things get interesting! These models are all water-resistant up to 50 metres, which means you can take them for a swim or wear them while engaging in water-based activities without worry. Just keep in mind that they are not suitable for scuba diving or high-velocity water activities like water skiing.
- Apple Watch Series 5, Series 6, 7, 8 and SE: Building on the water-resistant capabilities of their predecessors, these models are also water-resistant up to 50 metres. However, they come with an added twist – they feature a neat Water Lock mode. When activated, Water Lock mode prevents accidental touches on the screen while submerged and expels any water that may have entered the speaker holes once you're out of the water. How cool is that?
- Apple Watch Ultra: This bad boy was made for anything. With a water-resistance rating of 100 metres under ISO standard 22810:2010 and is EN13319-compliant, you can wear it during recreational scuba diving up to 40 metres (130 feet) and other activities such as swimming, showering and water skiing.
Now that we've got the lowdown on which Apple Watches are water-resistant, let's talk about how to swim with your Apple Watch:
- Activate Water Lock: Before diving into the deep end, make sure to activate Water Lock mode. This can be done by swiping up on the watch face to access the Control Center, tapping on the water droplet icon, and then turning the Digital Crown. This locks the screen and disables the touchscreen to prevent unwanted taps and swipes while you're swimming.
- Rinse after swimming: After your swim session, it's a good idea to rinse your Apple Watch with fresh water to remove any chlorine, saltwater, or other chemicals that may be present. This helps prevent any potential damage or corrosion over time.
- Dry it off: Once you've rinsed your watch, pat it dry with a soft, lint-free cloth. Avoid using heat sources like hairdryers, as excessive heat can damage the internal components. Let it air dry naturally.
- Give it a break: While the Apple Watch is designed to withstand water, it's always a good idea to give it some rest from water activities every now and then. Extended exposure to water, especially in extreme conditions, can still pose a risk to its longevity.
So, whether you're a fitness enthusiast looking to track your laps in the pool or someone who enjoys the occasional beach day, there's an Apple Watch that suits your water-related needs. Just remember to double-check the water resistance rating of your specific model and take the necessary precautions to ensure its longevity.
While not entirely waterproof, Apple Watches do offer varying degrees of water resistance. From being able to withstand splashes and sweat to accompanying you on swimming adventures, the newer models are built to handle your aquatic activities. So, dive in and enjoy the freedom.
Apple Watch Bands made for Swimming
Now that you know which Apple Watch models are safe for swimming, let's pair it with a band. First up, we have the trusty Sport Band. This band is a classic choice for water activities. Made from high-quality silicone, it's not afraid to get wet. It's comfortable, durable, and comes in a rainbow of vibrant colours that will make your wrist pop as you glide through the water.
For those of you who like to take your swimming adventures to the next level, iSTRAP introduces the Sport Band Active. This band takes swimming to a whole new level of coolness. It's designed with perforations that allow for enhanced breathability and quick-drying. No more soggy wrists after a swim! With the Sport Band Active, you can make waves in style and comfort.
Last but definitely not least, we have the Ocean Band. Just like its name suggests, this band is ready to conquer the deep blue sea. Made from soft, waterproof silicone, it can handle all the splashes, saltwater, and chlorine that come its way. Its sleek and streamlined design ensures a secure fit on your wrist, so you can focus on perfecting your backstroke without any distractions.